Pigment application step by step:
1. Mix the powder pigment with the Odie’s Super Penetrating Oil. There is no fix recipe, but firstly we recommend mixing it in 1:2 proportion (pigment: oil).
2. Put the pigmented oil on the surface. After 1 hour buff it off completely.
3. Wait for 24 to 49 hours before the next layer. No less than 24 hours, that is the key!!
4. Apply a clear coat of Odie’s Oil. Let it sit, then buff it off.
5. After 1 week you can use the surface. But the total curing time is 14 days, during this time the surface must not come into contact with any liquid or moisture.
You may need to apply multiple layers to achieve the desired color saturation. It is always important to test your stain before applying it to the entire piece. This is a custom-made stain, so you will be in complete control of what color you make. It’s an opportunity for your creativity to shine through!
The second round of ebonizing and finishing this figured Maple live edge desk slab with Odies Oil and black pigment.